Saturday, January 2, 2016

Reap with Careful Thought

Image Credit: Pixabay.com

At the end of December 2014, I learned of the One Word movement and was quickly won over.  Like many folks, I used to make my list of New Year's resolutions from weight loss to exercising to financial management and quickly lost momentum once the new year was well underway and I returned to the daily grind.

"Prioritize" became my word for 2015 as I attempted to improve on time management, in order to spend more quality time with those so close, but often so far.  In early January, I put myself on a 21-day social media time-out, as I was prioritizing my time in order to meet my "one word" resolution. During this time, I not only became closer to my loved ones, but I also had time to reflect and learn about myself. I found it refreshing and liberating to stay away from social media, especially Facebook. However, I also learned that I need to give careful thought to choices and decisions, whether serious or casual.  You see, no sooner had I decided on that word than numerous other words came to mind causing me to second guess myself and lose focus.

As 2016 was fast approaching, I found myself again pondering on my word and perusing through #oneword tweets.  The more I read, the more unsettled I was about the word. I thought and I prayed long and hard. I also read scripture and these verses shown here popped out at me as if there was a message being conveyed.
Yet still no "one word."

So on New Year's Eve, I sat down and wrote a reflective post about 2015 and published it.  As I've done many times, I reread and edited my post a few times after sharing it out. As much as I try to scrutinize my posts before publishing, there are always a few errors that I (or a friend) will catch after they're published.  And it was during this process of rereading and editing that the phrase "give careful thought" and the word "reap" seemed to speak to me.

As I stated in my last post, last year was a time of planting, of sowing, of cultivating - a time of preparation for growth.  I feel that 2016 will be a time to reap the harvest and produce.  However, I also know that I must "give careful thought" to my choices and decisions, whether they are pivotal or seemingly insignificant.

I still have no idea what the future holds and how that growth will play out, but I am looking forward to carefully considering and reaping the harvest, whatever that may be.

#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.