Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Import, Export and Personalize Vocabulary

Image Credit: Pixabay.com
Whether you are attempting to personalize instruction or are simply looking for a time-saving shortcut, here's a way to quickly and easily use Google forms, Quizlet and Quizalize to help students review and develop academic vocabulary.

Last December I wrote "Personalizing Vocabulary Development with Quizlet and Quizalize" where I shared how I had been exporting Quizlet study sets and importing them into Quizalize to create personalized formative assessments. Well, I recently learned how to import into Quizlet, quickly and easily creating study sets. So to piggyback on December's post, I'd like to add a few easy steps to what I shared a few months ago.

First, students create a personalized vocabulary list by entering their selected words and other related information into a Google form; the results subsequently stored on a Google sheet. I then copy the words and their definitions from the spreadsheet and import them into Quizlet. Once students have studied the words on Quizlet, I export the study set and develop a quiz on Quizalize. This is personalized learning at it's best - not to mention it's quick, easy and painless for their teacher.

Check out the screencast below where I take you through the entire process.


These activities are certainly supplemental to learning the terms in context, but they provide extra study tools that have proven invaluable to my students' vocabulary acquisition.

If personalizing vocabulary instruction is not on your radar, this combination of tools is still perfect for vocabulary review as users can copy terms and definitions from any document and create the study set and formative assessments. But you can also personalize larger classes by dividing the class into groups and having students collaboratively develop their word lists. Moreover, if you feel personalizing vocabulary isn't necessary or appropriate for the entire class, these tools may provide a way to scaffold instruction for English learners or other special populations.

I hope you will find this helpful and if so, please email me or enter comments below and let me know how you've used it. I would love the feedback, but most importantly, I'm always looking for new ideas.  I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.