Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Less Is More

"Everybody needs a little time away, I heard her say, from each other" Okay, I'm really dating myself here.  Any of you remember that 80s Chicago song, Hard To Say I'm Sorry? Can you hear Peter Cetera's awesome voice? Click here if you'd like to take a listen.

Today is the first day since January 6 that I've visited the Twitter site.  I've tweeted a few things here One Word resolution for 2015 and prioritize my time, I took the Twitter app off my phone and decided to put myself in a little time out.  Unlike the song, it's not hard to say I'm sorry because there's nothing to apologize for.  Quite the contrary, I'm proud that I was able to stay away and meet my goal of staying off Twitter for 21 days.  While I never intended on staying away forever, I do plan on spending less time on Twitter and more time investing in the people and activities that are most important.  I won't be tweeting, retweeting or chatting as much as I used to, but whenever I do tweet, I hope to make it count.  I also hope to moderate or co-moderate a chat at some point so I can help teachers grow as much as I have thanks to this amazing social medium. Like everything else in education, it's all about quality not quantity.
and there directly from a site, but never once went on Twitter.  In an attempt to keep my

And isn't that why we are in the education profession anyways?  For most of us, especially in North Carolina, we are not in it for the pay.  Many of us work our tails off for [much] less than perfect test scores.  Despite the many days we come home drained and frustrated, wondering why we do what we do, it's those few and far between moments that make it all worthwhile. Sure, it would be great to have higher salaries, increased test scores and more good days than bad days, but for those of us that choose to remain, the magic is the quality not the quantity.

I learned a great deal about myself during my time out period and I still have a way to go. One thing's for certain.  It's time to declutter my life and get rid of some of the extra stuff that does little more than take up space (or time).  It's time to focus on my priorities and cling to the essentials - to what generates growth.  It's all about quality not quantity because less is often so much more.

#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.