Friday, January 16, 2015

Time Out

Those of you who follow me on Twitter will know that in the last year I spent way too much time tweeting and reading tweets. After discovering the exciting world of Twitter and connecting with all those amazing educators, I was hooked in a big way and grew exponentially.  My instruction and my mindset were transformed and I'm so thankful for those virtual encounters.  However, it's now time to take it all to the next level, even though as I stated last time, I'm not exactly sure what that means. So, as I prepare for what's to unfold, I have resolved to prioritize my life in 2015 so I can live a healthier, more productive life, and therefore, I decided to give my tweeting a time-out.  

Webster defines "time-out" in three ways: (1) a short period of time during a sports event when the game stops and the players rest or talk to their coach (2) a short period of time when you stop doing something so that you can rest or do something else (3) a short period of time when a child must sit quietly as punishment for behaving badly.  At first I thought the time-out for me would be more of a time of rest so I can do something else.  However, the more I think about it, I wonder if perhaps a little of each definition would apply.  While I'm not necessarily punishing myself, all that time spent connecting with fellow educators, although justified as PD, undeniably took away from family time, rest and other essential duties.  Many nights, I found myself staying up late to plan or grade projects because earlier that evening I had joined a Twitter chat or spent too much time reading blogs and tweets.  While my intentions were good, I need to find some balance. And just as a sports event is stopped for players to rest and talk to their coach, I am utilizing this time to seek out my coach (my Lord) and determine a winning strategy.

Now let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.  As all three definitions suggest, this time-out is certainly intended to be for a short period of time.   I feel that 2015 is year of renewal, of redirection, of breakthrough, and I believe that this time of rest from Twitter as well as other social media will help prioritize my life and move me closer to achieving my personal and professional goals. I have a good feeling about this year and I'm using this time-out as a sort of cleansing that will prepare me for the great things that are in store. If nothing else, this time of rest will serve to declutter my life and bring me closer to those who physically surround me.

Believing this to be the #BestYearEver!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.