Monday, September 8, 2014

30-Day Blogging Challenge

I must admit that reflection is something that comes natural to me.  While reflection is expected of all teachers, for me it’s as natural as breathing.  Sometimes, I just reflect in my head, but I try to do it after every lesson and have incorporated it into my lesson plan template.  This year, reflection is taking on a new dimension.  Not only will reflection be part of my lesson plans, but I will also be part of my blogging.  

I recently read on Twitter that Teach Thought created a 30-Day Blogging Challenge.  Teachers who accept the challenge are asked to blog every day, even if just a paragraph.  They said it’s not about blogging but about reflection.  However, in my case, it’s not about the reflection it’s about the blogging.  I have been intending to blog since last year.  Finally at the end of the year, I created a blog and my goal was to blog at least once a week.  Well, I did it for the first three weeks, which were the last three weeks of school, but come summer, I no longer blogged.  Now that school is back in session, things are crazy busy, but I still want to blog, so this challenge was perfect for me.  

Aside from the blogging challenge, I also joined the #GoodCallsHome movement - something else I learned about on Twitter.  In an effort to increase parental involvement and communication, I am joining other educators in committing to making at least two positive calls home per week.  As an ESL teacher, parental involvement is essential, but unfortunately is rare, especially at the secondary level.  My goal in this challenge is that as I increase the number of positive phone calls, my students will be encouraged, parents will feel proud of their kids and motivate their children to do well, which will in turn serve to motivate me as well. My focus, especially at first, will be to focus on my most difficult students - those who usually don’t get those positive calls from school.  I really believe this will positively affect my relationships with students and parents for the good and it will certainly be covered in my blog posts. 

If you’re interested, check out the 30-Day Blogging Challenge.  Please know that I may not follow the prompts listed on the Teach Thought website, but I will blog and reflect on my positive phone calls and everything else that's going on in my ESL world.  I hope you’ll join me, not so much in following my blog, but in reflecting and blogging about your educational experiences.  


Until next time....keep reaching for the stars and let’s keep believing it will the #BestYearEver!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.