Sunday, September 28, 2014

I'm Like A Farmer

Even though I lived in a rural, farming community for 15 years, I'm most certainly not a farmer. I don't even have a green thumb.  Everything I've ever tried to plant without the help of my dear husband has died.  So why in the world would I think of farming when asked to create a metaphor, simile or analogy that describes my teaching philosophy?  It's because of my all-time favorite quote. "Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant" (Robert Louis Stevenson).

Like a farmer, I plant and I (sometimes) reap.  Farmers deal with uncontrollable factors, namely weather, and teachers have lots beyond their control.  The strongest parallel to me is that just like farming the results take time and sometimes are never seen.  We live for the day when we see the fruits of our labor; however, when we don't, we need to be at peace if we have done everything humanly possible. And lastly, like a farmer, if we have a bad season, we pick ourselves up and sow again next season, but never lose hope.

#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.