Friday, November 28, 2014

Hindsight is 20/20

Image Credit: photosforclass.com
The year was 2011 and I was attempting to re-enter the teaching world. In order to make myself more marketable, I added three additional teacher licenses. Before becoming a mom, I was certified in Business Education and Instructional Technology. I then added Reading, ESL and Elementary Education.  At that time, my son was a rising kindergartener and my daughter a rising 3rd grader, so I was particularly interested in elementary education. I felt that being a mom of two young kids somehow would make elementary education a good fit for me. Up to that point, my only full time classroom teaching experience had been in high school business education.  I had substitute taught a few times at the elementary level, but I never held a permanent position in grades K-6.

And so I embarked on some interviews for elementary positions.  I have to admit that I was very unsure about the regular education positions, but there was one post that I was certain I was perfect for and was devastated when I wasn't selected for the job.  It was an elementary ESL position with my current district.  I was beyond disappointed and outright angry, but I also tortured myself by replaying my interview mistakes over and over again in my head.  All that coulda, shoulda, woulda that does nothing but spin wheels and take you nowhere.

Well, I got over it and took a middle school business education position in Charlotte.  I quickly realized that having young children at home didn't necessarily qualify me to be an elementary classroom teacher and secondary education is where I belonged.  Sure, it has its challenges but that's the place for me.  A few months later the Secondary ESL position opened up with MGSD.  I went for it and here I am.  

I can see it all clearly now because hindsight is 20/20.

#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.