Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pieces of a Puzzle

Image source: pixabay.com
As a transplant from Florida, I'm happy to call the Tar Heel State home.  I love the climate, the people, the landscape.  It's a very warm place even when temps are frigid.  I've lived here for almost 20 years and although I miss my family members and childhood friends, I can't imagine living anywhere else.  However, as far as the education profession, it's not easy here. Even though I'm not planning on making a career move, I can't help but recognize that it takes a great deal of devotion and commitment in order to teach in North Carolina. Educators in our state, don't do it for the money. It's all about the kids.

So, what do I appreciate about my colleagues? While we all have our moments of huddling and venting, I am proud to be on a very dedicated team of education professionals.  As an ESL teacher, I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of none.  In order to best serve my students, I must collaborate with all those wonderful colleagues who teach our ELLs. I'm especially grateful for all those teachers who go above and beyond to find alternative materials in their native language, who find innovative ways to differentiate and who will remember that one struggling newcomer as they plan and prepare the unit of study.  Care and compassion have no language and it is amazing to work with those who communicate that so fluently to our English learners.  

Our class sizes are increasing while our earnings are stagnant, but our passion and commitment to our students is only getting stronger.  Like pieces of a puzzle, we each have our spot and together we make a lovely mosaic.


#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.