Saturday, November 1, 2014

Farming, Learning, Building & Forever Young

Source: pixabay.com
Today is November 1st and once again I'm embarking on a 30-Day Blogging Challenge.  This time it's not only about reflection but it's about gratitude.  While teaching can be enormously challenging, it most certainly has its rewards and no matter how difficult it can be at times, there really is much to be thankful for.

Every November for the last two years, I've taken a few minutes every day to write a Facebook post about someone or something I am thankful for, so when Beth Liedolf (@bliedolf67) and Justine Hughes (@cossie29) put out a call for ideas for a November blogging challenge, I immediately thought that gratitude and thankfulness would be perfect as we enter into the Thanksgiving season. I'm glad they took my idea, but regardless, I would have been blogging about gratitude anyways.

So, here's the question for Day 1: What are the best aspects of being a teacher?
During the first blogging challenge in September, I wrote a post titled "How Do I Love Teaching...Let Me Count The Ways" (you can read my post here).   Today rather than share what "I" love about teaching, I'm going to list what I believe are the best aspects of teaching for me and anyone else whose heart is in this most noble profession.

1.  Farming
We plant seeds all day long.  While I may not be around long enough to reap the harvest, I know that I undoubtedly impact the young lives entrusted to me.   Even though my official job title is Secondary ESL Teacher, if I do my job right, I'm planting seeds of confidence and hope that will produce lifelong learners and contributing members of society.

2.  Learning
I was hired to teach, but I am also being taught.  I learn from my administrators, my colleagues, my PLN and best of all my students.  Yes, those young people who enter my classroom expecting to gain knowledge from me will be imparting knowledge as well.

3.  Building
Teachers help build the future.  We are not just preparing kids to take a test and graduate high school, we are building the future of this great world.  Education is not about instructional delivery, it's about building a legacy.

4. Forever Young
Whether we teach at the elementary or secondary level, being around youngsters keeps us grounded and humble. We adults seem to think we are older and wiser, but guess what, we really don't have it all together either.  We are still learning and still growing, and the youthful, hopeful outlook of kids is good for the soul.

Until next time....#BestYearEver

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments! Please feel free to share your thoughts.